Thursday, October 8, 2009

Bleak Master

I'm about to watch the final episode of Showtime's "Brotherhood." The series ran 29 episodes from 2006 to 2008.

I got into it on a whim, a foolish impulse buy while I was a sophomore in college. I watched an hour or two, and gave up on it. I had reason to come back to it in a fit of minor depression, and ended up watching the first season in two days.

The show revolves around two Providence, RI brothers, Michael and Tommy Caffee. Michael is a gangster with psychotic tendencies that always come out in misguided attempts at justice. He has not been seen in Providence for seven years. Tommy is a politician, a state rep prone to corruption. The first hour begins with Michael Caffee reappearing in Providence after a mob soldier with a hit out on Michael is beaten to death at a construction sight. From there, "Brotherhood" tells the following story of the Caffee family, and all of those with the bad luck of being involved with them.

The third season, billed as its final, recently came out, and I've been sure to consume them slowly. The first season was fast and angry, the second slow to an extreme and bleak. Season three is a different sort, eight hours running almost as a mini-series, bound to the other two seasons in terms of plot and character, but containing its own story, begun and concluded within. I am on the cusp now of finding out how it all ends up for the Caffee brothers.

No comments:

Post a Comment